Archive for September, 2010
September 30th, 2010
Useful tips to create good resumes
Unending discussions have been carried on about resumes and what makes good resumes. Different people have different viewpoints and from their discussions emerges certain points which we can consider as essential elements of a good resume. These tips are time tested and if applied properly can create great resumes. In this article we will try to explore the critical contents of a well written resume which can be considered a good one.
Why do you need a good resume?
Normally employers use elimination in the selection process. They scan resumes of applicants and eliminate those which they do not like and shortlist a handful of candidates. These shortlisted candidates are called for interviews. So, everything depends on your resume to get through this first level. Your resume must be designed in such a way to hook the prospective employers.
There are some basic elements that a resume must have. These elements are your personal details, objective, summary of qualifications, experience, educational qualifications etc. You have to arrange these details around your focus.
Why should your resume have a focus?
So, it is essential to have a focus in good resumes. To make the point clear let us suppose you are a marketing professional with over five years of experience. While composing your resume you must focus on the rich experience you have gained and the skills which you have acquired in the process and also your accomplishments. But if you were a fresh graduate then your focus area would have been your educational qualification.
What is the ideal length of a resume?
People often speak against long resumes. Of course, you cannot bore your prospective employer with a four page document but leaving out relevant information just to keep your resume short is also not acceptable. You have to strike a balance between the size of the resume and the relevant information. Use action verbs, bulleted lists and proper formatting to make your resume short and to the point. Stay away from long winding sentences and put forward your information directly.
Why is format so important?
The format is equally important to the content you put inside it. Study free sample resume and functional resumes to get ideas about how to use different formats and create good resumes. Use a format in which you can highlight your skills and accomplishments easily.
Why employers prefer simple resumes?
An employer scans through hundreds of resumes every day to select a handful of candidates for interviews. He gives only about 20 seconds to glance through a resume. He would appreciate those resumes which have a simple format, look neat and clean and in which information is arranged in separate sections to locate it easily. So stay away from complex formats and go for simple language and looks.
An effective resume needs certain strategic decisions. Pay attention to the format, style, presentation of data, highlighting important information and underscoring your accomplishments. Lastly, check for spelling errors. Just paying attention to these small things will ensure that you produce good resumes.
September 28th, 2010
Use good resume example to create your own resume
People harbor several misconceptions about resume writing and themselves. Some think that resumes are hard to write, some feel that they cannot write a good resume. But the reality is quite different. Resume writing is not difficult and anyone can write a perfect resume. Of course to do that you need to know the basics of resume writing and a little bit of creativity and perseverance. If you are new in the job market then check out first resume and get a firsthand knowledge about resumes. For experienced professionals we will compose an accountant resume as a good resume example and show you how easy the task is.
203, Broughton Avenue, New York,
Mobile phone: (644) 567-0123
An accounting manager with over 10 years of experience in directing accounting departments, systems reviews, financial reporting and analysis is looking for a suitable challenging position where the acquired skills can be better utilized.
Summary of qualifications:
• Outstanding ability to write business correspondence, procedure manuals and reports
• Exceptional skill in working with mathematical concepts like probability and statistical inference
• Outstanding record of planning and implementing several projects
• Developed and implemented accounting programs for new accounting system
• Ability to read and analyze general business periodicals, government regulations and professional journals
Bosch Accounting Firm, New York, January 2005 – present
• Prepare financial statements for shareholders
• Prepare all reports for external audits
• Develop controls for internal operations
• Draft accounting policies and procedures in compliance with GAAP
• Answer written and verbal inquiries about accounts payables and receivables
Global Solutions, Minnesota, December 2002 – December 2004
• Provided financial advisory services to the investors
• Organized the accounting department
• Recruited and trained four junior accountants
• Prepared journal entries and checked others entries
• Maintained good working environment
CT Investment Inc, Houston, March 2000 – November 2002
Junior Accounting Manager
• Funded all transactions on a timely basis
• Updated the pension reports and maintained employee benefit records for over 4,000 employees
• Reduced audit adjustments through better financial controls
• Developed audit plans, evaluated accounting operations and coordinated all field work
• Maximized tax savings by adopting new techniques
- B.A., University of New York, 1998
- Masters in Financial Management, University of New York, 2000
- CPA certification
- Accounting and auditing update
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Knowledge of MS Office and Access
- Proficient in SQL Server 2000
- Fluency in German and French
- Board Member, Girl Scout Council
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Will be provided upon request
This good resume example of an accounting manager must have given you ideas about resume writing. You can use this as a guideline to develop your own resume. You may check out examples of resume for more ideas. While writing always remember the basic objective of a resume. Keep this focus in mind and leave out all irrelevant information. Keep your resume short and to the point. Edit it properly and check for spelling mistakes. Pay attention to the formatting and what you will have is a well composed resume that will definitely impress the employers.
September 26th, 2010
Learn the techniques of writing a good resume
A resume is a primary tool in the hands of job seekers in finding a job. Although different people have different opinions about resumes but there is a general guideline which you have to follow to compose a good resume. We will discuss the key elements of a resume in this article which will definitely help you in learning the art of resume writing.
Key elements of a resume
• • While writing a resume the first strategic decision that you have to take is about format for resume. The correct resume format that suits your job experience and the company’s requirements will go a long way in proving your candidature.
• After deciding on the format you have to consider the essential elements of a resume.
• A resume must have five parts. These are a job objective, summary of qualifications, work history, education and training. Click on free sample resume to get ideas about resume writing.
• For writing the job objective ask yourself a few questions. These should relate to what you want to achieve in your career, for whom you want to work, at what level and what skills you have that can help you achieve these.
• The answer to these questions when put creatively in a sentence or two will form your job objective in your good resume.
• Consider the position you are applying for and try to gauge the skills that are necessary for that job. You may research a bit on the company to know their expectations from the position. Match your skills with the required ones and write them down in a creative way. Use action words to strongly put forward your statements.
• Now put these into a bulleted list to form your summary of qualifications. You may include one or two points on significant accomplishments.
• But make sure that your summary of qualifications rouses interest in the reader to delve deeper into your resume.
• While writing your work history include all the details like the name of the companies you worked for, the titles held, tenure of service. If possible mention one or two key responsibilities you handled and also your accomplishments. Present this data in reverse chronological order.
• To compose an effective resume you must highlight your accomplishments and not the roles. Try to provide real life examples for underscoring your achievements to create a good resume. Use numbers and symbols as much as possible. A reader will be more impressed to know that you reduced production cost by 10% than the list of responsibilities you shouldered.
• For your educational qualifications also you must furnish all relevant information like the name of the college, the name of the course you studied, year of graduation and percentage of marks in reverse chronological order.
• If you have any special skill that you think may play a key role for the job you are applying for then mention that in a separate section.
• You should provide your future employers with a list of references and prepare them in a separate sheet.
Along with a good resume you need an effective cover letter to impress the employers. Make sure that both the documents are well formatted and always check for spelling mistakes. A professional looking resume will definitely obtain results that you are hoping for.
September 24th, 2010
Compose a general resume and embark on job search
A well –written resume helps you to present yourself before prospective employers and impress them. Having a neat and professional looking resume is extremely crucial in today’s job market. Learning how to write a resume may seem very difficult to you but in reality it is quite easy. In this article we will give you some tips on writing a general resume and then you will realize how easy the task is.
General tips on resume writing
• You should always remember the rule of “less is more” while composing a resume. No matter how extensive your career is but keeping your resume short is always advantageous. You want the reader to feel interested to call you for an interview and not bore him with a three page document!
• Many job seekers make the mistake of assuming that a resume is a document about your job history. But in reality the employers are interested to know your achievements and what you can do for them in future. Study example resumes to gain more insights.
• The lone purpose of your resume is to market you. So make sure that you put only relevant information in your resume and focus on the position you are applying for.
• Never lie in your resume. Whatever information you are putting in your resume will be cross checked and any misleading information may backfire and cost you dear.
• Do not hurry yourself in writing your general resume. You may need more time if you are creating your first resume. So give yourself ample time to compose a perfect resume.
• Gather information about format for resume and select the best one for yourself. Choosing the right format is the first step towards penning a great resume.
Elements of a resume
There are a few parts which every resume must have. Let us discuss them in brief.
You must put your personal information in the heading so as to catch the attention of the reader. Your name, email address, phone number, and residential address should be mentioned here.
A brief but to the point job objective can immediately win attention of the reader. Keep it within one sentence and if you know the exact title of the position use it.
The summary of qualification
This section will contain the list of skills and expertise you have acquired in your entire career. This is the most crucial section in your general resume as your future employer will be looking forward to know whether your skills will be beneficial to you or not.
Do not forget to highlight your achievements and underscore your capabilities and what benefit you can bring to your future employer.
List all your job experience in this section with details like the name of companies, the positions held, tenure of service and responsibilities handled. List these in reverse chronological order and highlight your achievements by giving concrete examples.
This section will show that you have the necessary credentials for the position. List all your educational qualifications with details like the name of the degree achieved, the name of college, year of graduation and percentage of marks.
If the job demands license to practice then do not forget to mention all the licenses to show that you are legally eligible for the post.
Provide your future employer with a list of references so that he can check your credentials.
Following these tips will definitely enable you to compose an excellent resume which will fetch a lot of job interviews. Thus a general resume is all that you need.
September 22nd, 2010
Use sample functional resumes to know more about this format
Often professionals face dilemma while selecting a particular resume format for themselves. They have to select either a chronological resume, or a functional resume or a combination resume. Although employers do not prefer functional resumes but in certain cases functional formats can be used effectively to specifically highlight skills that are not possible to do in a chronological resume format. If you are not sure of how to use a functional resume format then this resume sample will help you to understand the features of this particular format.
31, Main Street,
Applestone Park, Arizona
A personnel officer with over 12 years of experience in all aspects of personnel work. Self motivated with proven leadership skills in managing and motivating other staff to achieve company objective. Hard working with good analytical skills and computer literate. Able to use own initiative and has good communications skills and negotiation skills.
Recruitment & selection:
• Understanding the requirements of manpower of all departments
• Preparing and placing ads in local and national newspapers
• Short listing candidates and interviewing them
• Checking references and other credentials
• Preparing papers related to employment
• Coordinating with schools, colleges an local job centers for employment
Human resource planning:
• Evaluating the company’s future manpower requirements, for short, medium and long term
• Coordinating with senior management to estimate their manpower requirements
• Creating a comprehensive human resources plan for the next five years
Training & development:
• Identifying training needs of employees
• Conducting induction trainings
• Developing training programs as per the requirements identified
• Selecting external training organizations for specialized training courses
• Nominating candidates for training and monitoring the improvements
• Governing the company’s pay policy
• Benchmarking salary structures according to industry standards
• Implementing incentive schemes to reduce absenteeism and to boost production
• Managing the company’s share ownership schemes
• Managing and updating individual employee files
• Counseling staff on absenteeism or other issues
• Organizing social activities and annual functions
2005-till date Global softwares
Human Resource Manager
2002-2004 Smith & James Inc.
Human Resource Manager
1999-2001 Allweb Softwares
Assistant Human Resource Manager
1996-1999 Mainland Sportswears
Negotiation skills, leadership skills, team building, presentation skills
• Master’s Degree of Business Administration in Human Resource Development from University of New York, 1997
• Bachelor of commerce from College of Texas, 1995
• Knowledge of MS Office
• Proficient in German and French other than English
• Understanding of workplace ergonomics
Available upon request
This functional resume sample starts with a profile in which the major areas in which the person has experience are highlighted. For better clarity the resume is divided into sections so that the reader can easily locate the skills that this individual possesses. You may study examples of resumes and find the difference between a chronological resume and a functional resume. You can use this sample to develop your own resume. You may add or modify the sections according to the job you will be applying for.
Although employers do not prefer them, but if composed well, functional resumes can really give a boost to your career.
September 18th, 2010
A free resume sample which you can use effectively
A person involved in an administrative job is expected to be efficient in multi-tasking. He should be able to handle a lot of different work at the same time and be computer literate. Answering phones, handling cash and even knowing how to handle files are expected from him. Although administrative jobs are plenty in the market yet there is dearth of jobs that can give you satisfaction. So, administrative job holders are constantly looking for good opportunities. But to grab a lucrative opportunity you should be equipped with an effective resume. We will compose a free sample resume of an administrative post and you can use this resume as a reference.
314, Main Street,
Applestone Park, Arizona
An administrative assistant with over ten years of experience in managing business relations and special projects is looking for a suitable position of an administrative assistant which will allow me to utilize my skills further and also acquire new skills
Summary of qualification:
• Strong analytical and organizational skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills along with office etiquette and phone manners
• Superior customer service skills
• Proficient in MS Office
• Outstanding ability to multi-task in a fast- track environment
GP Global Systems, New York, January 2007- till date
• Responsible for typing all company documents
• Handling all official company correspondence
• Created a customer database and responsible for maintaining it
• Provide training to all new recruits
• Maintenance of office filing system
Maritta Healthcare, Houston, March 2004 – December 2006
• Developed presentations for on-shore an off-shore meetings
• Organized corporate luncheons
• Organized special events and made travel arrangements
• Processed monthly expense reports along with all supporting invoice
• Provided executive-level administrative support to vice-president of the company
• Maintained cordial relation with clients to boost sales
• Maintained weekly attendance and annual holiday records of employees of over 20 departments
Transworld IT Solutions, New York, February 2003 – February 2004
• Responsible for maintaining good work environment in the company
• Actively participated in producing the company’s monthly newsletter
• Handled phone queries and provided customer support
• Prepared and monitored budgets of four departments
• Assisted in providing induction training to new employees
• Served on front desk and performed general secretarial duties
KP Group of Hotels, Houston, January 2000 – January 2003
• Prepared and managed the budgets of the group of hotels
• Assisted the manager in coordinating with food and beverage suppliers
• Prepared and presented the quarterly financial results to the Management team
Knowledge Photoshop, Outlook, Access, SQL Server 2000
Fluent in German and French other than English
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, LA College, 1998
Available upon request
Remember, you must adapt your resume for the position you are applying for by using action words. Do not forget to underscore your best selling points. Make your resume easily readable by leaving ample spaces between different sections and by using bullet lists. Use these tips to compose an excellent resume.
You can use this free sample resume to compose your own resume. Click on administrative assistant resume to get a broad guideline about administrative resumes.
September 16th, 2010
Learn to use free resumes effectively
As you go through job advertisements and locate one that entices you, the first overwhelming thought that will occur to you is that you need a good resume. No, not only good but you need an excellent resume. But then how do you compose an effective resume within such a short time? You can ask your friends for help or your career counselor, but there is another source which can really help in such situations. I am talking about the internet and its vast repertoire of free resumes.
When it comes to resume writing or help regarding career matters, the internet can be an excellent source of assistance which can make learning an enriching experience.
If you are still not convinced then go through this article and find how you can use the internet and its free resources to learn resume writing.
What the internet can do for you?
Since its inception, the internet has been a medium of communication and learning. People are increasingly using it to learn new skills and to gather information. Several career guidance and job search websites have been launched which are working relentlessly to provide people with valuable information and also guidance about their career. These websites offer this information for free and prove very helpful.
Along with hosting latest information on jobs and careers these websites maintain a database of free resumes which you can use to create your own resume.
The benefits of using free resources
• The first benefit is obviously that these resources being free save you a lot of money.
• These free samples are available for a variety of positions and careers. Whether you are applying for a niche job or a common one, you can find free samples for almost all kinds of jobs.
• Your resume must be accompanied by an effective cover letter. Along with free samples you can download cover letters that matches these resumes.
• You can gain valuable knowledge about resume writing and other tips also. These can really help you in composing a resume for yourself.
• People are often confused about selecting format for resume or about which fonts to use, how much margin to keep and other formatting details which can greatly affect look of a resume. When using free samples you do not have to worry about these issues. A sample resume gives you a readymade format which you can conveniently use for your own resume.
• Free resumes can help you in deciding how to arrange the content of your resume. You gain insights about how to present your qualifications, your skills and about action words that can greatly enhance the quality of your resume.
How to make optimum use of free resources
Like you, hundreds of other applicants will be accessing the free resources and using them to compose their own resumes. How will you make your resume stand out among the crowd? The only way to do that is to make your resume look original and unique. For that you have to put in your creativity and hard work. Try to use the formatting styles and take tips from the sample resumes. Now use them in your own resume to create something new and fresh.
Remember, the free resumes are an excellent for learning and improvising. But in the end it is your hard work and effort that will make the resume a best one.
September 14th, 2010
Use free resume templates to compose effective resumes
The internet is a storehouse of information. Be it any information or help, everything is a click away. When it comes to job search and resume writing, the internet can be very helpful too. Free resume templates can be of great help when it comes to resume writing. A resume is very vital to our career as it creates the first impression even before we have met our potential employer. A resume reflects our professional image and it is essential that it shows us in the right light. Considering the importance of resumes it is of utmost importance that we know how to write good resumes. But quite often we cannot decide which form to use or how to present the information so that it catches the attention of the employer. In such cases free templates can really help us.
The sources of resume templates
The internet offers a plethora of websites on resume writing services. These websites have a database of free templates which can be downloaded and customized so that your content blends well with them.
You may wonder why you should use resume templates. There are a number of benefits of using resume templates and we will enumerate a few of them here.
Benefits of using resume templates
• Often we have to develop a resume within a short notice. We cannot afford to present poorly composed resume to an employer. In these times, free resume templates can be very handy. It saves time as you do not have to concentrate on the formatting and design which is a lengthy and time consuming process and you get a fast resume in a jiffy.
• Often HR professionals complain of poorly formatted or inconsistent resumes. But if you use free templates you do not have to worry about these as these templates have properly aligned margins and extensively use bullets for the ease of reading and scanning.
• A professional resume which has been well crafted and uses proper formatting and designing speaks volumes about the professionalism of the candidate. A professional resume template will ensure that your resume looks neat and clean and elicits positive response from the employer.
• You get interesting and creative ideas by studying the free resume templates. You can later on incorporate these ideas in your resume to make it look original and unique. You can also gain valuable insight from free resume help.
How to use resume templates
Normally a recruiter glances at the first page of a resume and if he likes it he will give a quick look to the second page. So, the first page of the resume should be written in such a way to grab the recruiter’s attention. If you are using free templates then make sure that you modify them creatively so that the recruiter gives them a second look. Make your resumes look original by adding your own ideas and modifying the formatting.
Free resume templates provide you with insights about standard resumes and what others are doing. It also provides an outline of the formats that recruiters expect. But to compose best resumes, you have put in your hard work and effort.
September 12th, 2010
How free resume search can help you to write effective resumes
Writing a resume has only one purpose. To create a good impression and get an interview call. Since resumes create the first impression which may prove vital for your entire career so it is imperative that you know how to write effective and excellent resumes. Now, everybody is not endowed with excellent writing skills. Some has to acquire this skill. You may not have all the information and knowledge that is required to write best resumes. But that should not deter your from your job quest. Nowadays excellent resources are available online which can be used to learn anything you wish to. So, when it comes to resume writing, you can resort to free resume search and use the online resources to your utmost benefit.
How can you get help on resume writing?
There are professional writers online who can help you in writing excellent resumes. But, what you can do is to search on your own and find good sample resumes. These sample resumes are mostly available free and can help you in developing a deep understanding about how to construct resumes that will serve your purpose.
What are the sources of free resumes?
You can get free resume samples from various sources. Career websites, resume writing services and even individual career counselors or professional resume writers maintain a database of free resumes to be viewed and used by people like us.
How can these sample resumes help you?
Normally sample resumes are available for a variety of careers and positions. You can definitely find some which will suit your requirement.
Moreover, these samples are written by professional resume writers who know how to write excellent resumes.
These resumes are written in different formats and hence you can learn a lot about format for resume and select the best resume format for yourself.
Free resume search can help you in other ways also. Along with resumes you can find cover letters also which accompany these free resumes. You can learn about writing effective cover letter by studying these letters.
How to use the free resume samples?
Merely finding a resume will not serve your purpose. You must go through the resumes to ensure that their content and form are satisfactory and then only you can rely on them.
Remember, a resume is the single most important document for job search and also to start a thriving career. So, great care must go into composing one. The examples of resumes should only be used as a guideline to help you write good resumes.
You should never copy and paste blindly from the resumes that you generate through free resume search. You must put in your own words and expressions to make the resume sound authentic and also reflect you and your qualities. Otherwise, the resume will be only a piece of written document unable to strike a chord with the reader.
It may so happen that the free resumes you find are inadequate and you have to put in a lot of effort to write your own resume.
Free resume search is an effective tool to get assistance on resume writing. But you must be realistic in using them. They can help you to get tips on writing resumes and teach you a thing or two. You can use these and couple them with your imagination and effort to compose excellent resumes.
September 10th, 2010
How you can effectively use free resume help
Almost everyone at some point in their career has felt helpless about writing resumes. They have wished for resume help and have even approached professionals for help. Previously you could get such help only from experts by paying hefty fees. But the scenario has dramatically changed now. With the advent of the internet, getting help on resume writing is as easy as clicking a mouse. Whether it is writing resumes or cover letters or finding other resources, the internet has solutions for all your problems. So when you are stuck with your resume do not hesitate to resort to free resume help that is available online.
Why do you need resume help?
For a single job opening often employers are flooded with hundreds or even thousands of resumes. How do you ensure that your resume will be given its due credit? To ensure this you need to write an effective resume which will highlight your skills and accomplishments adequately. To know all about resume writing and cover letters you should take help form online resources, which are plenty, updated and comes at almost zero cost.
From the online resources you can gain knowledge not only on resumes or cover letters but also on how to handle interviews and other aspects of job search and job application.
This vast resource if tapped effectively can put you league ahead of others in the race of job search.
How to get online help?
As you search in the internet you will come across a plethora of websites which offer help on job search or applications. There are career websites where you can search for latest job postings, there are resume services which will offer you free resume help and you will find information about format for resume that you may require.
But a word of caution must be spelled here. Faced with such wide choice of resources it is easy to get carried away.
How to find the right resource for yourself?
The internet will offer you valuable resources but some will be better than others. It is up to you to figure out which resource will be of greater use to you.
Mostly you will find sample resumes from resume writing services. These example resumes have been written by experts and they are unique and highly personalized. So, do not fall into the temptation of making your resume look like an online version.
Every resume must be written for a particular job description or with a definite purpose in mind. Simply copying from sample resumes that you come across online will not serve your purpose.
You should adhere to the guidelines provided by these samples and use them successfully to create an excellent resume.
Keep one thing in mind. This free resume help can only guide you to write effective resumes. You cannot include or exclude anything directly from the resumes. You have to keep your requirement, the job’s requirement in mind.
Other sources of resume help
Your local library can be an excellent source of information for you. Old books and career magazines have information and tips that you can incorporate in your resume. Even your city’s employment centre can prove to be a good source. You can find news articles, helpful tips and even job postings there.
Free resume help from the internet can ease all your problems. You only have to know to search at the right place and for the right information.