Some Academic Resume Writing Tips to Write Excellent Academic Resumes
You must have heard this hundred times that an effective resume is the key to improve chances of getting the dream job. People spend hours in compiling a winning resume that will fetch them an interview call. There is no denying the fact that your resume is your advertisement to the employer. But how do you write an effective resume that catches attention of the employer? Let us share some academic resume writing tips with you.
Here are some tips on resume writing.
- The purpose of the resume is to land an interview, not a job. So before proceeding to write one, make this clear to yourself. Most people lose focus while writing a resume and land up with a long and boring resume which leads nowhere.
- Start your resume with your name printed in a font bigger than the rest of the resume. Follow it with your residential address and email address. Avoid using any fancy email address. Remember your resume is a professional document. So use a professional email address.
- Employers generally glance through resumes and make snap judgments. If you mention those skills and job titles that relate to the job that you are applying for then the possibility of getting an interview call definitely increases.
- Consider your resume as a marketing tool to sell yourself. You have to market yourself through your resume. So try to generate so much interest that the employer is compelled to call you for an interview.
- Research on job ads and go through writing tips to find out the keywords that are mostly in use. Use these keywords in your resume which will make it stand out from others. Check resume sample for more information.
- Mention the summer jobs, internships and trainings that you went through which relate to the job.
- Mentioning your strengths and qualities are good for a resume. But do it subtly by mentioning real life examples and work experiences. In this way, it will not look inflated.
- Instead of writing in paragraphs, use short and simple sentences. Use bulleted lists to draw attention of the employer’s to the relevant points.
- Use action words to perk up interest of the employer. Along with these use power words or verbs that are in commensurate with the position you are applying for. As for example if you are applying for a programmer job in a IT company then use verbs like developed, programmed, written codes etc.
- Do not stop at mentioning the responsibilities that you handled but also describe your achievements.
- Of all academic resumes writing tips, this is of vital importance. Always remember that signs and symbols stand out in a resume and speak volumes that no amount of words can express. While mentioning your achievements do so in concrete measurable terms. As for example, instead of merely mentioning that you increased sales revenue, mention that you increased it by 45% or by $ 50,000.
- One common mistake that most people make is to create a standard resume and send it to all employers. Do not fall into this trap. Customize your resume for each job application so that the resume is tailor made and have a personal feeling. Check resume writing service for valuable input.
- When you will be mentioning your skills, keep the employer’s benefits in mind. An employer will only hire you if your skills can benefit him. So try to find his needs and mention those skills in the resume.
- Proofread your resume several times before sending it. You may ask your friend’s help also to avoid typographical and grammatical errors.
No matter how intimidated you feel about writing resumes but these academic resume writing tips will definitely fetch you more job interviews.